What are fit over sunglasses, and are they right for you?
So you're happy with your current prescription glasses but want to add UV protection to your lenses. As an alternative to prescription shades or photochromic sunglasses, you might want to consider another type of protection - fit over sunglasses.
Fit-over sunglasses are exactly what their name suggests: they're sunglasses with a slightly enlarged frame and temples specially designed to fit over your prescription glasses. Your eyeglasses simply sit underneath the fit over sunglasses. With these, you'll get excellent UV protection on top of the visual acuity from your prescription glasses.
So if you like to be outside in the sun and need to wear your spectacles, fit over sunglasses could be just the thing for you. Want to know why?
What are fit over sunglasses?
Let's first clarify what fit over sunglasses (also called suncover sunglasses and over-glasses sunglasses) are and how they work.
Suncover sunglasses have a slightly different design than conventional sunglasses. Their temples are wider so that they can encompass the temples of the prescription glasses underneath. The same goes for the frame. Fit-over sunglasses have a slightly thicker and larger frame so that the lenses of the eyeglasses underneath are not visible.
This has many advantages: The wider frame provides an extra dose of UV protection, especially on the sides and top end of the lenses. This not only shields your eyes, but also your sensitive skin, and can protect you from premature aging.1
Apart from their shape, lenses of over specs sunglasses offer UV400 protection, i.e. shield up to 99% of UVA and UVB rays. Such protection is essential all year round, as the sun can cause serious damage to your cornea, lens and retina.2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of fit over sunglasses?
Not sure about the price or practicality of fit-over sunglasses? Keep reading!
- While prescription sunglasses are custom-made for you and fit snugly on your face, they can also be expensive. Depending on the model, the brand and the coating, you might pay the same for a pair of prescription sunglasses as you would for the equivalent prescription glasses. Fit-over sunglasses, by contrast, are very affordable. From as little as £30, you can order a pair of high-quality suncover sunglasses at Lentiamo, that you can wear all year round.
- The lenses of over-glasses sunglasses are usually very impact resistant. Furthermore, their thick frames provide an extra layer of durability. This may be important if you use your fit overs when exercising or playing sports outdoors.
- One additional advantage is that fit-over sunglasses can be put on and taken off quickly and easily. Carry the glasses case with you in your handbag or glove compartment, and simply put on your over-glasses sunglasses whenever you need them. No need to clip on or change glasses.
- However, over-glasses shades can increase the weight of your glasses. Even though modern models are very light, they still add a considerable weight to your nose and ears. Accurate measuring for the right fit therefore becomes a must to help reduce weight. But how do you measure the right size of your fitovers? Read below!
How to determine the right size for over-glasses sunglasses
Now that we know how fit-over sunglasses work and what the key benefits are, let's measure their fit. All you need to do is measure the size of your prescription glasses, i.e. their width and height in millimetres. To achieve the best possible fit, the frame of your suncover sunglasses must be a little larger in width and height than your spectacles. But don't worry - Polaroid's Suncover sunglasses are designed to be at least 2 - 3 millimetres larger and wider than prescription spectacles of a similar design.
Speaking of design - you should also consider is the style and shape of your prescription glasses. For example, if you wear round glasses, choose round fit-over sunglasses. If your glasses are more square, your fit-over sunglasses should also follow this shape.
Do over-glasses sunglasses come in different styles?
You may think that despite the excellent features of fit-over sunglasses, you prefer to invest your money in prescription sunglasses because they're more fashionable and stylish. You should think twice. The latest suncover sunglasses, such as those from the popular Italian brand Polaroid, are bursting with style and cutting-edge designs.
Take a closer look at some of the trendsetting styles.
Suncover sunglasses from Polaroid
Are fit over sunglasses equipped with polarised lenses?
An important question when choosing the right fit-over sunglasses is whether the lenses should be polarised or not. As you may know, polarisation in sunglasses prevents excessive glare.3
So, opt for a pair of polarised fit-over sunglasses during activities on water or snow, such as fishing or skiing. It'll provide the necessary glare and sun protection you deserve.
- 1RO Health Guide.
- 2Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology
- 3Polarized light imaging of tissues
Best selling products
Lenjoy 1 Day Comfort (30 lenses) Recommended
Lenjoy 1 Day Comfort (90 lenses) Recommended
Lenjoy 1 Day Comfort (180 lenses) Recommended