Reasons for application of contact lenses can be divided into the following groups:
- Diagnostic – these are special hard contact lenses which help with ophthalmic examinations
- Cosmetic – these are used to cover scars, leukoms of the cornea, or as a fashion accessory
- Optical – these serve as a correction of refraction defects
- Preventative – these are used to prevent formation of conjunctival adhesions, with burns and acid burns, with ptosis, or with total anaesthesia to prevent corneal damage for imperfectly closed eyes
- Therapeutic (curative) – these are used for moisturising the cornea, as a bandage after eye surgery, as a drug carrier, for allergies to patches, or as an occlusal contact lens during treatment against amblyopia etc.