3 ways to tell if your brand sunglasses are actually fake (Guide with Pictures)
Original or fake? The question that will give you run for your money when it comes to buying sunglasses. Literally – to pay several hundreds for fake sunglasses means throwing your money away. There are fakes of all major brands, most commonly of Ray-Bans, that we already wrote article about.
Let’s find out how to spot fake sunglasses of other popular brands.
OakleyEverything in the world can and always will be made better. Oakley follows this motto in all areas they work in. Sunglasses are no exception – Oakley doesn’t make average sunglasses; every new model is a step up from the previous one when it comes to technology and material.
2 tips on how to spot fake Oakley sunglasses
- Check the frame. Original glasses will have the Oakley logo on them and an identification SKU code on the temple of the arms. Older models’ code will start with a zero, newer ones with the letter O.
- Don’t forget to check the nose pads. While the pads of real Oakleys are made from rubber (they are soft with a sponge-like surface), the nose pads of fake sunglasses are hard and smooth.
CarreraThis Italian brand that has been on the market since 1956 is one of the best among sport sunglasses. Glasses by Carrera are exceptionally light and resistant, they fit well and are comfortable to wear.
2 tips on how to spot fake Carrera sunglasses
- Check the case and the arms Check if they have the same country of origin on the box and one of the arms – sunglasses by Carrera are made in Italy, Slovenia and China.
- Check the logo Original sunglasses by Carrera have a logo on the lenses and often also a “UV Protection” statement. Both are often etched directly in the glass.
PradaA world-renowned Italian fashion brand, which begun their luxurious journey in 1913. In the beginning, they were mostly selling leather goods and accessories. They gained worldwide popularity in 1978 when the brand was inherited by Miuccia Prada. They also started producing sunglasses at that time.
2 tips on how to spot fake Prada sunglasses
- Check the logo. Focus on the logo, especially on the letter R – on original sunglasses, it has a unique shape (there’s a crescent cut under the loop of the R).
- Check the lens. Newer models of Prada sunglasses have a serial number etched on the right lens. The Prada logo is on the left lens.
Chanel“Little black dress” and Chanel No 5. Everybody knows these two famous items from this fashion industry icon. But the legendary brand has other products in its portfolio as well, including a sunglasses collection. Stylish, elegant and extremely well made.
2 tips on how to spot fake Chanel sunglasses
- Check the arm. Sunglasses by Chanel are made in Italy – original glasses have this fact (Made in Italy) written on the temple of the right arm together with the letters CE. On the left arm, they have an identification code where the second series of characters should begin with the letter C.
- Check the lens. New models have a small Chanel logo etched on the lens and identification code etched vertically on the right one.
PersolPer sol – for the sun. One of the most legendary brands of Italian design already says with its name what it focuses on. They have been specializing in sunglasses for over a hundred years and are worn by celebrities such as Jack Nicholson, George Clooney and Julia Roberts.
2 tips on how to spot fake Persol sunglasses
- Check the metal arrow. The most distinguishable feature that can show their authenticity is the metal arrow connecting the frame of the glasses with their arms. It should be in a straight, clean line with no gaps.
- Check the arm. Another significant feature are two metal strips of the Meflecto system on each arm – if they look like they’ve been glued on, it’s almost definitely a fake.
Dolce & GabbanaIndependence, not submitting to fashion trends, elegance. Values that make Dolce & Gabbana one of the most respected brands of fashion design in recent years. And one of the most frequently faked – which includes sunglasses as well.
3 tips on how to spot fake Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses
- Check the box and the case. First of all, check the box and the case. The box has to be made from quality paper and have the Dolce & Gabbana logo on the front. The case is sturdy and coated with leather.
- Check an information leaflet and certificate. An information leaflet and certificate of authenticity are printed on a glossy paper of the highest quality.
- Check the identification number. It’s on the temple of the arm of older models and etched on the right lens of newer ones.