Dos and Don'ts: Halloween Contact Lenses
Having the best Halloween contact lenses to match your costume is not the most difficult part. Keeping safe by wearing the correct contact lenses, that are approved for this use, should be your main concern, so that you won't end up in your local outpatients'. Since it is better to be safe, than sorry, here are some tips to “do it proper” this Halloween.
When wearing contact lenses, there are a few rules you must follow. They are:
- Do not share your lenses with your friends, family — with no one. Experts say that by sharing your contacts you increase the chances of spreading eye disease and increases the risk of corneal ulcers. Also, just like toothbrushes and underwear, contact lenses are personal items.
- Do not overuse your contacts. Your optician or doctor will educate you on proper wearing time. If in doubt, follow the manufacturers instructions.
- Do not drive with Halloween contacts. Crazy contacts that cover your pupil cause vision impairment, so it's not advisable to drive while wearing them.
- Do not sleep while wearing them. When you do, lenses can get misaligned, cause irritation, and in the worse cases may even cause permanent eye damage.
- Do not pick up lenses from just about anywhere, just because they’re cheap – your eyes' health is at stake! It’s better to buy or order your lenses from an authorized retailer.
- Do not “top off” solution. Use only fresh contact lens disinfecting solution – never mix fresh solution with old, or used solution. 1
- Do not let hair spray or any cosmetics come into contact with your lenses.
Remember: If you forget and sleep with your contacts in, consult an eye doctor and get your eyes treated as soon as possible.
You might be thinking: “Wow, that’s too many don'ts and precautions". And you are right. But it’s better to take some precautions, rather than ending up ruining your Halloween party, or worse as mentioned above.
Now that we are done with the don'ts, here is the fun part. Let’s look at what we can actually do with contacts.
- Choose amazing motifs of coloured lenses with or without prescription.
- Make a great impression and wear an amazing costume. Here are some costume and makeup inspirations to help you.
- Remember the importance of blinking. Regular and complete blinking will help you to keep the lens moist and clean. 2
- Always put in before applying any makeup & take out before removing it.
- Remove immediately if your eyes get irritated and you feel discomfort
Enjoy Halloween, stay safe, have fun and, if you like, share some of your moments with us. For each photo that you share, you will get rewarded!